Thought donuts were more naughty than nice? Not anymore! Our resident Baker, Reece Hignell, owner of Cake Boi, has developed these healthy Berry Iced Vegan Donuts for a not so naughty, delicious treat. He's skipped the red food colouring and artificial flavours instead using our Essential Reds powder which also gives an added boost of antioxidants.
A fun and flexible recipe, perfect to make with the kids and easy to turn into cupcakes instead if you don't have a donut tin lying around.
- 2 cups (260g) all-purpose plain flour
- ½ cup (70g) granulated erythritol
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (4g) ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons (10g) vanilla extract
- ½ cup mashed banana (about 1 small banana)
- 1 ¼ cups almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
Berry Coconut Glaze
- 1 cup (95g) coconut butter
- ¼ cup (55g) almond milk
- ½ cup granulated erythritol
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Melrose Essential Reds
- Freeze dried raspberries, crumbled, to serve
- Desiccated coconut, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180℃ and grease a 12-hole donut tray.
Add plain flour, erythritol, baking soda, cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt into a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
In a separate mixing bowl, add the mashed banana, almond milk, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and the melted coconut oil. Give the mixture a good stir until well combined. Scoop the mixture into a pipping bag and pipe the mixture between the holes of the donut tin.
Place into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and when an inserted skewer comes out clean.