A lunch box friendly and nutrient boosted butter for sandwiches, crackers or snacks. This butter is made from sunflower seeds, making it nut-free, and with the addition of anti-inflammatory and omega rich flaxseed oil, it’s a healthy food while feeling indulgent and delicious. It’s a great way to boost the nutrition of anyone's diet without even noticing. Serve as you would use any other nut butter - on sandwiches, with vegetables or fruit dipped in, on top of yoghurt or toast.
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup Melrose Organic Flaxseed oil
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup OR 10 drops liquid stevia
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Spread sunflower seeds onto the tray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes, stirring in the middle. Watch carefully to ensure it doesn/t burn. Leave to cool completely to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a food processor add the sunflower seeds and pulse or blend until a butter forms, stopping in between to scrape down the sides or redistribute the seeds. This may take a while but eventually the oil will release and a smoother butter will form.
- Add in the flaxseed oil, coconut oil, salt, vanilla and sweetener and pulse to combine. Pour into a jar and store in the fridge.