These delicious golden scones are packed with vitamins, antioxidants and help fight inflammation! Perfect for morning tea, a snack to go or even an after dinner treat - these scones will be a crowd favourite!
- 2 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons aluminium free baking powder
- 80g / approx. ½ cup Melrose organic flavour free coconut oil or diced butter, chilled
- 4 teaspoons / scoops Melrose Turmeric Superblend
- 1 cup dairy free milk (oat, almond or soy)
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 200 degrees. Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Place flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, wash your hands with cold water to make your hands cold, add coconut oil or butter and rub the butter or coconut oil into the flour with your fingertips so that it resembles loose breadcrumbs. Some chunky bits of butter or coconut oil.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, gradually pour the milk into the flour and use a butter knife to cut the flour and to incorporate the liquid until it comes together as a kneadable dough. If it’s too sticky, add a little more flour, if it’s too dry add a little more milk.
- Tip dough out of bowl onto a lightly floured surface and very gently knead the dough until it is just combined. Gently roll out the dough using a rolling pin so that it’s approx. 4cms thick. Using a scone cutter or base of a glass.
- Place the scones about 1cm apart on a baking tray and brush lightly with egg wash, melted coconut oil or milk.
- Bake for about 10 – 15 minutes, until the edges are just lightly golden and if you tapped one on the bottom there is a slight hollow sound. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Enjoy warm with butter.
Adaptable to make vegan.