This is the tofu recipe to turn any tofu hater into a convert. Cooked in a nutrient dense pesto featuring our Essential Greens, we like to eat this recipe for breakfast, lunch and dinner!Recipe created lovingly by our resident baker Reece Hignell.
- 300g firm tofu, patted dry with paper towel and finely torn into 1-2cm chunks
- 2 medium (90g) golden shallots, finely sliced
- 1 large (5g) clove garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons (20g) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 thick slices (200g) sourdough bread, toasted
- 2 teaspoons (10g) vegan butter (or your preferred spread)
- Fresh herbs, to serve
- ¾ cup (60g) cup walnuts
- 1 bunch (70g of leaves) basil, leaves picked
- 2 tablespoons (25g) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup (100g) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (10g) Melrose Essential Greens
- 1 teaspoon (4g) flaky sea salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
To make the Green Pesto: place a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add in the walnuts and cook, tossing for 5 minutes until lightly golden all over.
Place into a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Blitz until you form a chunky green pesto.
Place the frying pan back over medium-high heat with the olive oil and torn tofu, golden shallots and garlic.
Cook for 4-5 minutes, leaving the tofu and shallots to crisp up on the bottom of the pan before tossing, continue until the tofu and shallots are golden brown and crisp all over.
Remove from the heat and add in ⅓ cup (90g) of the Green Pesto and stir through until well coated.
Divide the sourdough toast between two serving plates, butter the toast and then top with the Pesto Scrambled Tofu, fresh herbs and a good pinch of sea salt flakes and pepper.
This pesto also works well on pasta, in sandwiches or as a dip for vegetable sticks.