- 4 free range eggs
- 1 cup dairy free mylk
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (approx. 2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla Paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices thickly cut light rye or sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons Melrose Organic Full Flavoured Coconut Oil
- Approx 1/3 cup Melrose Rice Syrup
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt
- 2 cups fresh berries, to serve
Whisk eggs, mylk, orange juice and zest, vanilla and cinnamon in a large bowl then pour half the mixture into a baking tray or shallow dish.
Add 2 or 4 pieces of bread at a time, allowing the break to soak for a few minutes on each side to soak up the mixture.
Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat, add a tablespoon of Melrose Organic Full Flavoured Coconut Oil to the pan. When the bread has soaked, carefully remove it and allow excess to drip into the dish then place on hot pan and cook on each side until lightly golden.
To finish the bread, drizzle a few teaspoons of Melrose Organic Rice Syrup on the top facing side of the bread, then flip bread and allow rice syrup to cook for a minute and repeat on the other side of the bread. This may cause some crystallisation of the rice syrup but when removed and cooled from the pan it will give the bread a sweet, glossy finish and a slightly crispy texture. Repeat this process with remaining slices of bread.
Allow bread to cool slightly before adding coconut yoghurt and fresh berries, serve whilst warm.