Healthy snacks seem to be some of the hardest to come by, especially if sugar content is something you are concerned about. Often even the bars and snacks that are marketed as healthy actually contain just as much sugar as an average candy bar.
Making your own snacks is a great way to get around this, and these granola bars are not only free of sugar, but they also contain energising MCT Oil to tie you over until your next meal. These bars can be easily frozen so you can always have a stash of healthy snacks to prevent you from needing to turn to sugar.
If you are a nut lover, these are perfect for you!
- 2 cups mixed nuts (such as almonds, brazil nuts and walnuts)
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ cup ground flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp erythritol based sweetener OR 1 tsp pure monk fruit powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Melrose Kickstart MCT Oil
- 2 egg whites, whisked
1. Preheat the oven to 160℃ and line a square brownie tin with baking paper.
2. Finely chop the nuts. You can do this by hand or in a food processor. They don’t need to be ground to a flour, some whole chunks are preferred.
3. Add chopped nuts to a bowl with the sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, ground flax, sweetener and salt. Toss to combine.
4. In a small bowl, combine the almond butter, vanilla and MCT oil. Pour into the nut mixture with the whisked egg white. Toss to coat. Combine well, ensuring all the almond butter and egg is dispersed and there are no clumps.
5. Transfer mixture to the lined tin, ensuring to press the mixture down firmly and smooth the surface. You don’t want any air pockets otherwise the bars won’t hold together.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Then turn the oven off and leave the tray in there with the door slightly open for 20 minutes to dry out. If it appears to be a little bubbly, this is fine.
7. Slice into 12 bars and store in the fridge.
- You can use any runny nut butter in this recipe, as long as it mixes well into the MCT oil without any hard or dry clumps.