- 2 rainbow trout fillets, approx. 250g each
- 1L Melrose Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 fennel, thinly sliced or shaved
- 2 large handfuls rocket
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
Preheat fan-forced oven to the lowest temperature (approx. 50 degrees).
Place olive oil in a saucepan and heat very gently on low heat until temperature reaches about 30‒50 degrees Celsius (see notes).
Lay rainbow trout flat in a deep baking dish. When oil is at the right temperature, pour over fish, adding a little fennel or dill to the oil if desired. Place baking dish with trout into oven and cook for about 20–25 minutes.
Prepare your salad by tossing together thinly shaved fennel, rocket leaves, dill, and walnuts in a bowl. Whisk together your salad dressing and drizzle over to coat well. Season with a little salt.
To test if fish is cooked, flesh should easily pull apart and not be too firm. Cook longer if required. If flesh of fish has pink spots on top, the oil and oven is too hot. Try and lower heat.
Remove dish from oven. Using a spatula, carefully lift fish out and onto serving plates. Serve with salad and a wedge of lemon.
- Oil should feel hotter than blood temperature but not so hot that you can't leave your finger in the oil. If too hot, allow to cool down or add in extra room temperature olive oil. Alternatively use a thermometer.
- If preparing this dish in advance, store your sliced fennel in an ice bath with lemon juice. This helps to prevent oxidation and keep it crisp.