Omega-3's fatty acids are essential for our bodies, yet our modern diets are often lacking in this important nutrient. Flaxseed oil is one of the most concentrated plant-based sources of Omega-3 available, and it's more versatile than you may think.
We worked with Reece Hignell to develop these dreamy Raspberry and Vanilla Cheesecake bars that are not only a great source of Omega-3 but are chock-full of healthy and nutrient dense ingredients.
A flaxseed oil base is topped with cashew 'cheesecake' for a healthy twist on an all time classic. This may be be our new favourite recipe!
2 cup (200g) cup gluten-free plain flour
1 (100g) cup almond meal
½ cup (55g) coconut sugar
¼ cup (50g) melted coconut oil, melted or softened
2 tablespoons (20g) Melrose Flaxseed Oil
Pinch sea salt
1.5 cups (200g) raw, unsalted cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours, then drained
¼ cup (50g) full-fat coconut cream
¼ cup (45g) coconut oil, melted or softened
⅓ cup (100g) rice malt syrup
½ lemon, juice and zest
1 vanilla bean, seeded
2 cups raspberries, divided
To serve (optional)
Pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat an oven to 180℃ and line and grease a 20cm x 30cm baking tin with baking paper.
- To make the Base Layer, add all ingredients to a food processor and blitz until you form a dough.
- If the dough isn’t coming together add a dash of water until it does.
- Press into the base of the prepared baking tin. Place into the oven to bake for 10 minutes
until lightly golden.
- Remove and allow to cool until firmed up.
- Meanwhile, clean out your food processor and add the soaked cashews, coconut cream,
coconut oil, rice malt syrup, lemon, vanilla bean and half of the raspberries into the food processor.
- Blitz on high for 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides every now and then until the batter is smooth.
- Add in the remaining raspberries and pulse a few times to disperse in the mixture.
- Spread evenly over the base layer.
- Place the Raspberry + Vanilla Cheesecake Bars in the freezer to set for 2 hours or the fridge
for 4 hours, before slicing into rectangles and sprinkling over bee pollen and pistachios to serve.
Ensure you soak your cashews in advance - the cheesecake layer will not get smooth